Skip to content

VA Pays For Vets’ Disability Equipment In The Home

July 26, 2009

New York Times

If you use the Veterans Affairs health care system and have a disability that requires equipment being added to the home, the V.A. may pick up the total bill for the improvements.

Your V.A. doctor can refer you to a specialist who will come to your home and determine what changes need to be made. The V.A. will then find someone to make the modifications, at no charge to you.

If your home requires permanent changes, like a ramp instead of front steps, you will have to apply for a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations grant, said Neal Eckrich, the National Prosthetic Program Manager for the V.A. The grants range from $1,200 to $4,100.

If your income in the past has been slightly too high to qualify for V.A. health benefits, you should check the new limits. The income thresholds were raised in June. Go to the V.A.’s online calculator or call 1-877-222- 8387 to find out if you now qualify. LESLEY ALDERMAN

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: